Sunday, August 17, 2008

Have you read any good Books lately? Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy is an excellent book

I recently read the book "Quiet Strength" by Tony Dungy. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the book. I read it in less than 3 weeks and actually gave it away for someone else to read when I finished it. Tony Dungy has an awesome story and it was very encouraging to read about how he overcame lifes challenges (i.e. tragically losing his teenaged son who committed suicide). I reccomend that you read this book. If you don't have time to read it. Here are some of the notes that I took:
  • Tony's slogan: "No excuses, no explanations"
  • Life Drags on when you're losing but it marches on when you're winning
  • Appreciate the joys of the moment
  • While dealing with anger, ask yourself "Will losing my temper make the situation better".
  • Develop a quiet strength
  • Learn the art of story-telling (Good leadership attribute)
  • Do the ordinary things better than everyone else
  • Be uncommon, Do what you do
  • Talent is God given; Be Thankful
  • Praise is man given; be humble
  • Conceit is self given; be careful
  • Be consistent (Mc Donalds Fries are the same everywhere)
  • Trust your preparation
  • Build a legacy in those places that people will never see
  • Dont allow the pursuit of life's goals caue you to lose sight of purpose
  • Your purpose is to glorify God
  • Pray that people will see more of God's prescence all around them
  • Always make family a priority
  • Enjoy the Journey of Life
  • You are faced with a choice everyday; be a giver or a taker

Have you read any good books lately? Let me know which books you reccomend.

-Deonte

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I havent read Quiet strength but I heard it would a good book. I read Phil Jackson's book "The Last Season". It was very interesting to see what went on behind closed doors with Kobe, Shaq and Phil.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I've always thought that Tony Dungy had a positive demeanor. I might have to check it out.